Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A pünkösdi rózsa (The Peony)


Listen to song
Hungarian csángó folk song from Moldva (the Romanian part of ancient Moldavia, see Map), from the album This Way, Sweetheart!
Photo: Bob Gutowski
Song page on website

 
Andrea Gerak performs this song at the County Governor's Residence in Malmö, 2009 Dec 8, Road To Copenhagen Conference
Watch video on YouTube


House in Magyarfalu (Gaiceana-Arini) in Moldva, photo by Andrea Gerak

Szöveg / Lyrics



A pünkösdi rózsa nyárba virágozik,
Az én édesem is akkor házasodik,
Akkor házasodik.

Vaj egyél, vaj igyál, vaj megházasodjál,
Más ember ajtaján ne orcátlankodjál,
Ne orcátlankodjál!

Sem eszem, sem iszom, meg sem házasodom,
Más ember ajtaján nem orcátlankodom,
Nem orcátlankodom.

Szeretlek, szeretlek, csak ne mondd senkinek,
Míg a templom földjén fektetve nem visznek,
Fektetve nem visznek.

Szerelem, szerelem, átkozott gyötrelem,
Mért nem virágoztál minden faleleven,
Minden falevelen?

Minden fa levelén, minden bokor alján,
Hogy szakisztott vóna minden legény s leány,
Minden legény s leány.

Mer' én szakisztottam, el is szalasztottam,
Szelíd galamb helyett vadgalambot fogtam,
Vadgalambot fogtam.



The peony blossoms in the summer,
And that is when my sweetie gets married,
That's when he gets married.

Either eat, either drink, either get married,
Don't be bold-faced at others doors,
Don't be boldfaced.

I don't eat, I don't drink, I don't get married either,
I am not bold-faced at others doors,
I am not bold-faced.

I love you, I love you, but don't tell it to anyone,
Till they carry me laid out on the church's ground,
Till they carry me laid out.

Love, love, wretched anguish
Why didn't you blossom on the leaves of every tree,
On the leaves of every tree?

On the leaves of every tree, at the bottom of every bush,
Let each lad and girl pluck you,
Every lad and girl.

'Cause I've already plucked one but missed it,
Instead of a tame dove, I caught a wild one,
I caught a wild one.


Download it from:
BandCamp SoundClick

More songs from the album This Way, Sweetheart
Jaj, de sokat áztam-fáztam (Yay, I've been freezing)
Beli Buba, Beli


Andrea's birthday wish

www.andreagerak.com

Share/Bookmark

No comments: